Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Bananas and Such


Two bananas sat on my counter, getting more and more brown, and less and less appetizing. I usually put them in the freezer and then wait for that one day when I will think, "Hey, I know. I have three to four (2 cups) of bananas in the freezer. I should make banana bread." I search through my two freezers for the said bananas, and after finding a few I let them sit out on the counter to thaw into a sloppy puddle. Once they are mostly thawed I attempt to peel them and get the semi-liquid form to the bowl on the opposite side of the kitchen without goo-ing the floor ('why didn't I bring the bowl over here by the garbage,' I always think). Well today I had a genius idea. Genius! I peeled the bananas BEFORE I put them in the freezer. I took out a quart-size slider plastic bag (purchase by accident, because those sliders are a luxury in my silly mind while I'm contemplating my purchase in the plastics aisle at the grocery store), found a Sharpie pen and wrote, "2 bananas" on the bag. Yep.

I know many of you when you started reading this have very strong opinions about how ripe a banana should be when eaten. That actually has nothing to do with this.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

As a side note, I read from a very reliable source that "freezing then thawing the fruit bursts cells and brings out as much flavour as is possible". Super!